Friday, August 20, 2010

Ferberizing , how to with 10 month old ?

ok im reading up on this and to start with 5 mins then increase the time. we have not gone more then two days of him sleeping thru the night since birth. and we have to wait until he is sleeping before putting him in his crib.





i would like to start this method today , but need your help on how you did it with your babies.





how long did he/she cry before falling asleep?


how many days did it take to do this before they fell asleep and stayed asleep?





and anything eles you found usefull while doing it.Ferberizing , how to with 10 month old ?
10 minutes. Let him cry. If he's crying for more than 10 minutes, go in a 'tuck him in' again. Repeat, repeat.





It's hard the first few nights, but it's worth it!!!Ferberizing , how to with 10 month old ?
I found not letting babies cry it out to be a better method. Do what you want though, I have no advice for you.


thumbs down all you want, I prefer to co-sleep.
just to let you know- ferber has changed his views on those things a bit(go aheadd an give me thumbs down)
What I've been doing ever since she started sleeping in her own room is giving her a bottle and letting her fall asleep and then lying her down (I know you're not supposed to do it that way) and she would wake several times a night for her pacifier. At our 6 month appt. the Dr. said to lay down the law, he said we didn't have to do a cry it out method, althought that's what he did with his kids, but to try something.





I couldn't let her cry it out so my husband slept out in the living room and let her cry. The next night she cried for just a few minutes then slept through the night for two weeks straight.


Then she got sick and would only co-sleep and then after that her habits were worse than before.





So I decided to try Ferber. So I put her down after her night time bottle whether she was already asleep or not and if she was awake and started to cry I shushed her and patted her (things she likes) and then left the room. Let her cry for 3 mintues, then went back shushed and patted (did not pick her up) then left the room even if she was still crying. Then repeated after 5 minutes, and then I would have repeated after 10 but she fell asleep in about two minutes. Also 10 min would have been the maxium time, you chose the time you feel most comfortable with.





So for the rest of the night when she woke up, I'd go shush and pat and then leave and she'd cry for less than a minute and then go back to sleep.





After 2-3 nights, she now is back to just waking up for her pacifier, and then goes right back to sleep when I get it for her, and she wakes less for it each night, last night she only woke up once. So I'm thinking about taking the pacifier away, we may have a couple more crying nights.





Originally I was against cry it out, but at 8 months old I think it's ok now because it's the only thing that has worked. It's not like you're just letting them cry by themself, you keep going back in there to let them know you're there, but they start to realize it's bedtime, as long as they're fed, warm, not too warm, and don't need a diaper change, I think they are ok.
You don't think there's actually some sort of science behind this lazy-parenting nonsense, do you? There's no research showing that X minutes for X nights actually does anything good. If you are going to jam your child in a crib and wander off, ignoring sobbing pleas for comfort, just do it and don't kid yourself that you're doing it according to some sort of 'proper' method.





However, there is some research out there. An excellent starting point:





http://www.talaris.org/pdf/research/CIOP…





';we have not gone more then two days of him sleeping thru the night since birth';





That is normal. Your baby is a baby, and one who is developmentally normal.
I just started this with my 13 month old. I spend a few minutes with him. Usually while he drinks his last bottle. Then I put him in bed and stroke his back. The first few nights he didn't want to lie down. So, I walked out of the room for exactly 5 minutes. It was horrible because he cried the entire time. After the five minutes, I would go back in, give him a hug and kiss and lie him back down again. I would rub his back and usually he would fall asleep within 2-3 minutes. Everyday it is progressively getting easier. It has been about a week and a half and I do not have to leave the room for 5 minutes. I just lay him down and rub his back and he falls asleep. Good luck it is hard but it will get easier.





I would like to add that he still gets up in the middle of the night but I just go in and rub his back again and he is asleep within 30 seconds. Before I would spend 10 minutes rocking him to sleep.
Ferberizing? You mean trying to make your baby fall asleep when you want them to and not when they are ready to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment